Reinstating Your Driver's License

Contact Us


If you are convicted of drunk driving in California, you will lose your license for some period of time. At my law office, I help clients get their licenses back. I am attorney Blackie Burak, and I have been defending clients against DUI /DWI charges for nearly 40 years. I have the knowledge and experience to argue aggressively on your behalf, building a strong case for having your driver's license restored as quickly as possible.
If you are facing the loss of your driver's license, whether for a drunk driving arrest or for a DUI conviction, I am here to help. Contact my Walnut Creek law office toll free at 1-866-BLCKDUI for a free consultation. I have handled thousands of DMV hearings and have helped countless people recover their ability to drive after a DUI arrest or conviction.


It is important to contact a lawyer and schedule your DMV hearing as soon as possible, as there is only a limited time (usually 10 days) in which you are able to do so. If you lose the DMV hearing, you will probably be able to obtain a restricted driver's license after serving a 30-day suspension.
If you have prior DMV alcohol suspensions or DUI convictions within the preceding 19 years, you will face longer periods of administrative suspension. You may need to have an interlock device (also known as a steering wheel locking device) installed on your car. You will probably not be able to get a restricted license for the first or second year.


One of the penalties after a DUI conviction will be the loss of your license. The length of the suspension depends on whether you have had previous DUI convictions. I will argue for reducing the amount of time your license is suspended, help you obtain a steering wheel locking device if that will help reduce the suspension, and develop a compelling case for obtaining a restricted license as soon as possible. A first time conviction carries a 6 month license suspension, but DMV will permit you to immediately get a restricted license if you are enrolled in an approved DMV alcohol school, maintain proof of insurance (SR-22) and pay a reissue fee. This is a second and separate suspension/restriction from the DMV administrative suspension.


If you have been arrested or convicted for DUI / DWI, contact my Walnut Creek law office. If I become your lawyer, I will be an aggressive advocate for restoring your driving privileges as soon as possible. Call toll free at 1-866-BLCKDUI if your driver's license has been revoked or suspended.